Wednesday, October 28, 2009

PLE Week 8

I viewed and commented on Kaitlin Tingey's Stellarium project viewing the phases of the moon, Lauryn Paul's pH project, and Kellie Cash's Stellarium project tracking moon's orbit around Earth. I was impressed with the variety of projects everyone came up with. I hadn't thought about the other ideas possible.

I really like the idea of using digital microscopes in the classroom. I remember that I had a difficult time using microscopes in elementary school because i was nervous about breaking the slides and lens. Digital microscopes take that pressure away, and allow students to view objects of all sizes, not just slides. Also, the entire class can view the object through the microscope at the same time because the live image can be projected. I think students get excited about using neat gadgets like digital probes and microscopes, as well, so it's a great way to make science exciting and hands-on. I also love Stellarium. I took an astronomy class that used a similar program, and I find it fascinating. I think kids would have so much fun watching the constellations, moon, and other objects "move" across the sky. It really makes space and astronomy accessible to children, because kids are not going to have the time or opportunity to sit outside at night and observe through a telescope. It also helps put the orbit of the Earth into context because kids can actually see it happening in fast motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment